Personal tools
Jump to: navigation, search

Vision

The College of Pharmacy as an institution that provides quality, socially-relevant, globally-competitive pharmacy education and where research and extension services address the needs of the profession, industry and the society as a whole.

Mission

Through a unified, goal-oriented faculty, students, research and administrative staff, the following mission shall be pursued:

Leadership in the Provision of Quality Pharmacy Education

   *5-year BS Industrial Pharmacy Program
   *5-year BS Pharmacy Program
   *Competency-based and Multimedia Instruction
   *Coordinated Internship in Hospital, Community and Pharmaceutical Industry  

Engagement in Dynamic, Responsive Researches

   *Pharmacy Practice
   *Natural Products
   *Pharmaceutics and Drug Formulation
   *Research on Rational Drug Therapy and Use

Provision of Socially-relevant Extension Services to the Profession and the Society

   *Multidimensional Urban Community Health Program
   *Continuing Education Program for Pharmacists in All Areas of Practice
   *Drug Analytical Services
   *Advocacy for the Pharmacy Profession

Improved Support Services for the College Constituents

   *Faculty and Staff Development Programs
   *Student Scholarship Grants, Faculty and Staff Grants and Professorial Chairs
   *Modernized Library,  Computer Facilities and Student Lounge



History

On January 12, 1911, the Board of Regents of the University approved the establishment of a course in pharmacy under the College of Liberal Arts for the school year 1911-12. On June 5, 1911 the course in pharmacy was instituted with an enrollment of 32 students. At this time, only the first year subjects were given. The Graduate in Pharmacy (Ph.G) degree would be granted after finishing the three-year course. It was only approved that the degree of Pharmaceutical Chemist (Ph.C.) would be conferred to those who have successfully completed the three-year course and two years of German. In 1913-14, the course leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy was introduced. Of the 32 original enrollees, eight were granted the Graduate in Pharmacy degree in 1914. Six of them continued their studies for another year and earned the Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy degree in 1915.

In order to meet the needs of a growing student body, as well as the for better coordination of instruction, the Board of Regents, upon the recommendation of the president of the University, authorized the opening of on February 12, 1914 of a separate pharmacy school under the administration of the College of Medicine. Dr. Andrew Grover Du Mez was selected to establish the school upon the recommendation of Dr. Edward Kremers, the late Director of the School of Pharmacy of the University of Wisconsin, when the latter was requested by the Philippine Government for a professor who would organize the school. Dr. Du Mez was at first appointed to the Department of Pharmacology of the College of Medicine and later became the first Director of the School of Pharmacy. Three-year Graduate in Pharmacy as well as the four-year graduate of Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy degrees continued to be offered.

On July 16, 1914, the management of the division of pharmacy of the Philippine General Hospital was transferred to the Pharmacy School. This afforded the pharmacy students excellent opportunities in their drug store practice.

In 1916, Dr. Mariano Vivencio del Rosario was appointed the first Filipino Director of the school when Dr. Du Mez� return to the United States. That same year, two departments were created: the Departments of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Chemistry. In 1917, during the incumbency of Dr. del Rosario, the school became a member of the American Conference of Pharmaceutical Faculties later known as the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy. A course in pharmaceutical manufacturing was introduced in 1917. It was a lecture-laboratory course and was open to both fourth year and graduate students.

In 1921, the Graduate in Pharmacy degree was changed to Pharmaceutical Chemist degree. In 1927, the undergraduate seminar and research course was introduced, the first that this course was instituted in the Philippines. The Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy degree was made compulsory in 1930 (the first students graduating in 1934). Also in 1930, the graduate course in pharmacy was inaugurated with two students who graduated with the Master of Science degree in 1932.

On August 14, 1935, upon the initiative of President Jorge C. Bocobo with the favorable endorsement of the Regents Committee for the College of Medicine, the status of the School was changed to that of an autonomous College. Dr. M.V. del Rosario was the first Dean of the College of Pharmacy (1935-43).

In 1937, the management and operation of the laboratory for the manufacture of the Extract of Rice Polishings in the former Bureau of Science (precursor of the National Institute of Science and Technology), was transferred to the College. Although the physical plant was continued to be situated in the Bureau of Science, a Control and Research Laboratory was operated within the premises of the College. These continued to be in operation until the battle for liberation of Manila during the World War II.

Upon the demise of Dean M.V. del Rosario in April 1943, Dr. Patrocinio Valenzuela succeeded as Dean of the College and Head of the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry. Throughout the war years, the College continued to operate until the battle of liberation of Manila when the building and most of the equipment, records and supplies were destroyed. In August 1945, a few months after liberation, the College resumed giving instruction in Pharmacy using the physical facilities of the partially destroyed Dispensary building of the Philippine General Hospital. It continued to be house therein until the transfer of the University to Diliman, Quezon City in January 1949. At first the College was housed in a 92 x 26 meter quonset hut till 1950 when it was transferred to the third and part of the second floors of Pavilion I of Palma Hall.

In 1951, the College instituted the five-year curriculum leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Industrial Pharmacy with one student graduating in 1953. The Department of Industrial Pharmacy was established in 1952. A graduate of Bachelor of Science in Industrial Pharmacy may enroll for the senior year in Chemical Engineering and qualify for the degree of Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering.

In the school year 1954-55, the five-year pharmacy course leading to the Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy degree was made compulsory in the Philippines.

In 1961, Dr. Alfredo C. Santos succeeded Dean Valenzuela and served as dean until his retirement in 1965. He was replaced by Dr. Juanito B. Abcede, the former Secretary of the College, who was the Dean until 1975.

In 1967, the Master of Science with major in Industrial Pharmacy was instituted. In 1971, the Doctor of Philosophy with major in either Pharmacy or Pharmaceutical Chemistry was introduced.

Upon the retirement of Dean Juanito B. Abcede, Dr. Jesusa A. Concha, was appointed Acting Dean up to April 30, 1975. Dr. Concha served as Dean of the College from May 1, 1975 to April 30, 1980.

The creation of the Health Sciences Center as an autonomous member of the UP System in 1979 paved the transfer of the College fo Pharmacy to the UP Manila Campus in October 1984. Prof. Natividad F de Castro, Ph.D.(1980-1985) was the dean at the time of transfer.

In 1984, by virtue of PD no. 1926, the four-year BS Pharmacy was adopted by all Colleges of Pharmacy in the Philippines.

After the retirement of Dr. de Castro in 1985, Prof Amorita V. Castillo, M.S served as Dean from 1985-1988. Upon the retirement of Dean Castillo, Prof. Magdalena C. Cantoria, Ph.D., was appointed Dean, an appointment that she held until she reached her compulsory retirement age in 1989. After the usual democratic consultation, Prof. Leticia-Barbara B Gutierrez was appointed Dean in 1989 by the Board of Regents with subsequent reappointments as Dean until 2001.

In 1996, the College was transferred from the former NEDA building in Padre Faura to the FNRI building (now Patrocinio Valenzuela building) in Taft Ave, Ermita, Manila. After 86 years of being homeless, the College of Pharmacy�s newly-renovated four-story building on Taft Avenue near the corner of Pedro Gil Street was inaugurated last July 17, 1997.

This four-strory building, once fully equipped with state of the art facilities, enables the College of Pharmacy to maintain its excellence and leadership in pharmacy education and to strengthen its capabilities in scientific research and community service. The building consists of eight lecture rooms, 10 laboratories, an auditorium, a student lounge, a library, and administrative offices.

In June 2001, Dr.Yolanda R. Robles, assumed position of the Dean of the College of Pharmacy. She is the incumbent Dean.

Four of the former deans of the College were given permanent appointment as Professors Emeriti by the university: Dean Jesusa A. Concha, Dean Natividad F. de Castro , Dean Magdalena C. Cantoria and Dean Leticia Barbara B. Gutierrez.

On May 25, 2005, the President of the UP System, Dr. Emerlinda R. Roman, approved the revised curricula for BS Pharmacy, BS Industrial Pharmacy and MS Pharmacy with majors in Hospital Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Industrial Pharmacy. These programs, geared towards a socially relevant and globally competitive pharmacy education, were the products of the three-year curriculum development program of the College.

  • This page was last modified on 13 October 2009, at 14:05.
  • This page has been accessed 11,001 times.
The Fine Print: contents on this site are owned by whoever posted them (as indicated on the page History). Neither the DILC nor the University is responsible for them in any way. DILC reserves the right to delete them if they are deemed in violation of the University's Acceptable Use Policy and other applicable laws.