|University of the Philippines Open University|
Bukas na Pamantasan ng Unibersidad ng Pilipinas (?)
|Established|| 1908 (System)|
February 23, 1995 (Campus)
|Motto||Honor and Excellence|
|Type||National University (officially Degree-Granting Unit)|
|Chancellor||Dr. Grace J. Alfonso|
|Hymn||UP Naming Mahal|
|Location||Los Banos, Laguna, Philippines|
|Website||UP Open University Home Page|
The University of the Philippines Open University (UPOU) was established on 23 February 1995 as the fifth constituent university of the University of the Philippines System. Its mandate is to provide education opportunities to individuals aspiring for higher education and improved qualifications but who are unable to take advantage of traditional modes of education.
Specifically, the UPOU provides quality higher and continuing education to Filipinos through distance education. Its mission is to give its students formal qualification, as well as to develop in them the discipline and capability to become lifelong learners who are at home in today's knowledge society.
The Commission on Higher Education (CHEd) has declared the UPOU the National Center of Excellence in Open Learning and Distance Education in recognition of its achievements in this field and its vital role in pushing the frontiers of learning in service to the Filipino nation.
The goals of the UPOU are to:
- Offer through open and distance learning degree and non-degree programs that are responsive to the needs of learners and of the society of which they are a part;
- Develop a system of continuing education to sustain professional growth and promote lifelong learning;
- Develop and adapt delivery systems appropriate to distance learners;
- Provide leadership in the development of open learning and distance education expertise in the country and in the appropriate use of information and communication technologies of education; and
- Make instructional packages accessible to various publics through collaborative arrangements, institutional agreements, and other appropriate mechanisms.
Mission and Vision
The UP Open University shall be at the forefront of the knowledge society as a leading institution of open learning and distance education.
The U.P. Open University seeks to provide wider access to quality higher education.
It shall adhere to the highest standards of academic excellence , guarantee academic freedom , and encourage social responsibility and nationalistic commitment among its faculty, staff and students.
Specifically, the UPOU has the following objectives:
- To provide opportunities for alternative access to quality higher education by offering baccalaureate and post-baccalaureate degree programs and non-formal courses by distance education.
- To develop a system of continuing education for sustaining professional growth and improving technical skills especially for those who cannot leave their jobs or homes for full-time studies; and
- To contribute towards upgrading the quality of residential instruction in the University and the educational system of the country, in general, by developing, testing and utilizing innovative instructional materials and technology, and sharing these with other colleges and universities through cooperative programs.
9280138 (media ctr)
9207117 (Learning Center)
- University of the Philippines System
- University of the Philippines, Baguio
- University of the Philippines, Diliman
- University of the Philippines, Los Banos
- University of the Philippines, Manila
- University of the Philippines, Mindanao
- University of the Philippines in the Visayas
- University of the Philippines, Open University
- This page was last modified on 27 April 2012, at 15:36.
- This page has been accessed 19,465 times.