Dr. Ferdinand Blancaflor Pitagan is the Dean of the School of Education (SOTE) at the National Teachers College (NTC). SOTE has approximately 80 professors; more than 2,000 students in 6 programs in the Undergraduate and more than 1,400 students in 14 programs at the Graduate Studies. NTC founded in 1928 and acquired by Ayala Education last 2018, envisions itself as top institution in teacher education by producing industry-ready professionals willing to contribute their knowledge, skills and value for the betterment of the Philippines.
Dr. Pitagan is also Consultant/Specialist at UNESCO leading the team of experts in the design of the framework, strategy, training and budget of the Open Educational Resources – Universal Design for Learning Policy for Higher Educational Institutions in the Philippines Project. The Policy Inception Workshop last March 2019 was attended by top Philippine HEIs represented by university presidents, chancellors, directors and deans. The project would conduct training, research and other pertinent activities related to the project.
He was a Monbusho (Japanese Government Scholarship) scholar under which he graduated with the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Education from the International Christian University, Tokyo, Japan. He was also a graduate of the University of the Philippines - Diliman with the degree of Masters of Arts in Education major in Educational Technology. In addition, he was a research fellow at Tokyo Gakugei University, Japan.
Dr. Pitagan was the Director of the Academic Support for Instructional Services and Technology (ASIST) of De La Salle University providing blended learning and teaching trainings and other academic services to all colleges of DLSU Manila concurrently, as Department Chair and Associate Professor at the Educational Leadership and Management Department. He was also an Assistant Professor at the University of the Philippines - Diliman, College of Education, teaching educational technology and research courses. He was also Special Science Teacher at Philippine Science High School - Main Campus.
Moreover, he was an Educational Technology Consultant of the Department of Education (DepEd) as the co-author of the Media and Information Literacy and Empowerment Technology Curriculum Guides for Senior High under the K-12 Basic Curriculum Program. He was also the Lead Author / Team Leader of the Media and Information Literacy Teaching Guide, a project of Commission on Higher Education (CHEd).
Dr. Pitagan was also a reviewer of international journal publications - Educational Technology Research and Development (ETR&D), Sage Open Journal, International Journal for Educational Media and Technology (IJEMT), and International Journal of Educational Technology for higher Education (ETHE); convener of The First Media and Information Literacy Intensive Teacher Trainer Program; co-founder of the National Digital Educators Society (NDES); founder of ActivatED (an academic group that aims to foster a more creative and active mindset in designing and implementing innovative solutions for the Philippine classrooms). His other engagements involve international collaborations with Hiroshima Institute of Technology and Kansai University in the areas of ICT for Education.
Furthermore, he has received international/national awards notably the Best Filipino Teacher of the Support Your Dream Japan, Model Student of Rotary International and the Gerry Roxas Leadership Award. He also delivers talks; conducts seminars and trainings; and produces instructional media resources on media and information literacy and eLearning in general. He envisions a community of practice in technology integration into education which is inclusive, collaborative and in the service of others.
Doctor of Philosophy in Education Major in Educational Media and Society
International Christian University / Tokyo, Japan / Monbukagusho (Japanese Government Scholarship) / GPA: A – Excellent / 2010.03 – 2006.09
Department of Education, Educational Technology Consultant
- Main Author, Media and Information Literacy Curriculum Guide, Senior High, K-12 Basic Curriculum Program
- Co-author, ICT for Professional Curriculum Guide, Senior High, K-12 Basic Curriculum Program
- Member, Instructional Material Design and Evaluation Workshop, Senior High, K-12 Basic Curriculum Program
- Project: Developing a Use Model for ICT Integration to Education (BEE & BES) / 2011.05
Commission of Higher Education, K-12 Transition, Educational Technology Consultant
- Team Leader, Course Development (Teaching Guides) for Media and Information Literacy of Senior High, K-12 Basic Curriculum Program
University of the Philippines - Diliman, College of Education, Educational Technology Department, Assistant Professor | 2014.12 ~ 2010.06
- Teach the theory and practice of the analysis, design, development, implementation and evaluation of resources and processes for technology integration for education with Student Evaluation Rating of 1.12 (SY2014-2015)
- Advise educational technology research that cuts across disciplines with at least 1 master student advisee graduating every year
- Perform administrative duties such as ICT Coordinator, Committee Chairmanship and others
- Recipient of Excellence in Teaching Award 2013 and UPCEd Best Committee Award 2011
Quipper School Philippines, Research Team Leader
- Research Output: Quipper School contributes to higher test scores, assignment submission and attendance rate
- On-going: Quipper School Research on Online Assignment / Homework
Media and Information Literacy Teacher Training Program, Convener and Lead Trainer
- Collaborating with different academic institutions, lgus, telcos and other stakeholders for national deployment.
- A TED talk inspired academic group that foster progressive, creative and active solutions for Philippine education.
International Christian University - Tokyo Japan
- Team Member, Competencies for Healthcare Professionals in the Emergency Rooms / 2010.01 – 2009.04
- Teaching Assistant / 2010.04 – 2007.04
- Research Fellow, Institute for Educational Research and Service (IERS), 2010.04
- Coordinator, Asian Graduate of Education (GSE) Forum / 2007
- Educational Technology / Tokyo Gakugei University / Japan / 2006.08 – 2005.04
Assistant English Language Teacher
Cisco Networking Academy
- Asia Pacific Regional Instructor, National Computer Center] / Quezon City, Philippines / 2005.03 – 2004.07
Philippine Science High School / Quezon City, Philippines / 2004.07 – 1997.06
- Special Science Teacher, Computer Science Department
- SHS Computer Quiz Bee (QUIZBITS) / 2004.03 – 2003.06
- Became their Computer Science Consultant in 2012
PROJECT AND ENGAGEMENTS
- Pilot Study: UNESCO Inclusion of Learners with Disabilities in Open and Distance Learning (on-going)
- Sakura Project: Harnessing Blended Learning for the Promotion of Enviromental Protection for Sustainable earth (Kansaii University and De La Salle University fully funded by Japan Science Foundation (on-going)
- A Study of the Use of Computer Supported Collaborative Learning (CSCL) Tools in English Education at University: Issues and Practices of International Learning, a joint research project with four (4) Japanese universities with the approval of the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) with funding from the Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research.
- Open Educational Resource in Asia, a research project between professors and consultants from Japan, USA, India and the Philippines.
- Game-based Learning in the Philippines: Pilot Study at UPIS, a research and training project between University of the Philippines – Integrated School (UPIS), PLDT, NTT Japan and CMI Korea.
- United Board for Christian Higher Education in Asia
- ELMD Benchmarking in Singapore (NIE, NUS, La Salle School)
- ELMD Phd Student Benchmarking in Japan (Kansaii University, Osaka University, Nihon Fukushi University)
Editorial Review Board Member
- Rodavia, M. R. , Isabelle Soleil Curato, I. S., Pitagan, F. B. (in press). Online Disaster Preparedness Application for Kids. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineer Journal
- Mingoa, T. R., Pitagan, F. B.(in press). Teachers' Stress and Coping Strategies. Advance Sciences Journal
- Yumiko, A., Masahiro, Pitagan, F. B. (in press). Effects of Synchronous CSCL on Perceived Learning, Satisfaction and Social Presence: Text Versus Video Chat Among EFL Learners. Advance Sciences Journal
- Pitagan, F.B. (2017). Quipper School contributes to higher test score, attendance rate and assignment submission in teaching Mathematics. DLSU Research Congress
- Pitagan, F.B., Aguidilla M. (2017). Educational Technology Leadership for Philippine K-12 Basic Education. DLSU Research Congress
- Pitagan, F.B. (2013). Interaction Effects and Cognitive Engagements of Collaborative Groups in Online Asynchronous Discussions. Education Quarterly, Vol. 71 (2), pp 44-23, http://www.journals.upd.edu.ph/index.php/edq/article/view/3880/3538
- Pitagan, F. B.(2009). Instructional Design and Teachers and Learners Factors Affecting Active and Meaningful Participation in Online Discussion. Educational Studies, Vol. 51, pp 103-113, ISSN 0452-3318. http://ci.nii.ac.jp/naid/40016762700
- Prudente, M. S., Pitagan. F. B. (in press). Optimizing Technology for Learning and Teaching: The DLSU Manila Experience. Teacher Press, Vibal Publishing House.
International and National Research Presentation
- Pitagan, F.B.(04.25.2015). Quipper School contributes to higher test scores, assignment submission and attendance rate, Quipper School National Principal Conference, Heritage Hotel, Philippines
- Pitagan, F.B.(2014). Information and Media Literacy Teacher Training Program. The 8th International Conference on Teacher Education (ICTEd), Crowne Plaza, Ortigas, Philippines.
- Pitagan, F.B.(2013.10.24). Do We Need Online Discussion Leaders?. National Conference on Research in Teacher Education, University of the Philippines - Diliman. http://ncrtephilippines.org/?page_id=257
- Pitagan, F. B. (2010.07.20-31).To Blend or Not To Blend: A Didactic Decision for Innovative Teaching and Learning. The 6th International Conference on Teacher Education (ICTEd), pp 26-27. SEAMEO-INNOTECH, Quezon City, Philippines. http://dilc.upd.edu.ph/index.php/events/478-icted-2010-ferdinand-pitagan
- Pitagan, F. B. (2008). The Impact of Grouping Strategies on Interaction Effects and Cognitive Engagements in Asynchronous Online Discussion. International Conference for Media in Education (IcoME), pp 419-411. Kansai University Takatsuki Campus, Osaka, Japan. http://icome2008.ict-education.org/japanese/index-jpn.htm
- Pitagan, F. B. (2007). Pilot Study: The Impact of Grouping Strategies on Interaction Effects and Cognitive Engagements in Asynchronous Online Discussion. Asian Graduate School of Education Forum, p 24. Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea. http://subsite.icu.ac.jp/gs/etchp/sked.html
- Pitagan, F. B. (2006). Thesis Summary: University Virtual Learning Environment (UVLE) and Intellectual Behaviors of Teachers and Students. Graduate School of Education Forum, pp 100-105. International Christian University, Tokyo, Japan.
- Internet and Digital Technology: Changes and Challenges to Education and Teaching Methodologies (2018). Adamson University, College of Law Faculty Development Seminar, Bayview Hotel, Philippines
- INNOVATED Learn, Unlearn, Relearn (2017). National Conference on ICT in Education, SMX MOA
- Designing Media and information Literacy Programs (2017). Asia Pacific Conference on Curriculum Studies and Instructional Designing, Crowne Plaza, Philippines
- Philippine K-12 ICT (2016). Japan Society for Educational Technology, Osaka, Japan
- Integrating technology into Learning and Teaching (2016). Philippine Association of Graduate Schools in Education, University of Sto Tomas
- Media and Information Literacy (2016). National Conference on Information Technology Education, Dipolog. Philippines
- Educational technology Caravans (2016- present). De La Salle University- Manila
- Media and Information for Teachers (2015.04.16). PACU Academic Management Seminar Series V, Philippine Association of Universities and Colleges, University of the Asia and the Pacific, Philippines
- Media and Information Literacy for K-12 Teachers (2015.02.20-22). The First Annual National Digital Education Summit, St. Jude Catholic School, Manila, Philippines
- Media and Information Literacy for K-12 Teachers (2015.12.06). The 12th National eLearning Conference, Philippine eLearning Society, UP Los Banos.
- Educational Technology: Breaking Through the Norms in Education (2013). One Goal 2013, UP Diliman
- Harnessing the Power of the Technology in Promoting Multicultural Education in the Filipino Classroom (2013). The 5th National Conference on Teacher Training, UPNISMED Auditorium, UP Diliman.
- The 21st Century Teacher: A Leader, Mentor, Researcher, and Tech-Savvy (2012). DELPS Public Lecture, UP Diliman.
- e-Tablet for Education (2012.07.29). Quezon City-Marikina Grade School Consortium (QCMGSC), Miriam College Child Study Center, Philippines
- Multi-media Instructional Materials (2012.06.08). La Salle Greenhills, Philippines
- Designing an Innovative eLearning (2012.04.22). Center for Child Study, Miriam College, Philippines
- Blended Learning: Combining Traditional with Digital Technologies for Effective and Efficient Learning (2012.04.07). UPLIFT 2012, Philippine Science High School.
- The Techie Teacher: Adopting ICT in the Filipino Classroom (2011.09.17). The 32nd Manila International Book Fair, SMX Convention Center, Philippines.
- Are You Doing I(C)T Right: Strategies for Making effective Use of e-Learning Tools (2011.09.17). The 32nd Manila International Book Fair, SMX Convention Center, Philippines.
- To Blend or Not To Blend: A Discourse for Innovative Teaching and Learning (2011.10.13). Catalyst 2011, Philippine Science High School.
- Instructional Design with Information and Communication Technology (IDwICT) (2010.10.27-28). The 4th National ICTs in Basic Education Congress, Ateneo de Manila, Philippines. http://depedteacher.blogspot.com/2010/09/4th-national-congress-on-icts-in-basic.html
- The Repeat: Empowering the Nation Through Education Technology 2010.10.5). Philippine Youth Congress in Information Technology (Y4iT), UP National Institute for Science and Mathematics Education Development (UP-NISMED), UP Diliman. http://18.104.22.168/wordpress/?page_id=100
- Empowering the Nation Through Education Technology (2010.09.14-17). Philippine Youth Congress in Information Technology (Y4iT), Film Institue, UP Diliman. http://22.214.171.124/wordpress/?page_id=100
- Computer Software for Education (2010.08.26). Alternative Classroom Learning Experience (ACLE), College of Education, UP Diliman.
TRAININGS / WORKSHOPS / SEMINARS CONDUCTED
DLSU ARAL: Action Research in Educational Technology De La Salle University, 2018
NCTEd: Teaching Media and Information Literacy 2017' SMX MOA
Course Development Third Writeshop for Media and Information Literacy
Commission on Higher Education | Philippine Science High School, Quezon City | 02.27-29.2016
Technolympics: Festival of Talents
Department of Education | General Santos City | 02.23-25.2016
Course Development Second Writeshop for Media and Information Literacy
Commission on Higher Education | UP Diliman Cebu, Cebu City | 02.6-10.2016
Designing Adaptive Digital Education Programs: A Strategic Workshop for Academic Leaders for Region IV-A
De La Salle University Dasmariñas, Center for Innovative Programs | NEAP, Batangas | 01.27-29.2016
Designing Technology Integration for Senior High School
Far Eastern University Diliman | FERN College, Quezon City | 01.22-23.2016
Designing Adaptive Digital Education Programs: A Strategic Workshop for Academic Leaders for Region IV-A
De La Salle University Dasmariñas, Center for Innovative Programs | DLSU, Dasmarinas, Cavite | 11.16-18.2015
Integrating Digital Resource into Lesson Activities: A Workshop on Media and Information Literacy
Philippine eLearning Society, 2nd International Congress on eLearning | Asia Pacific College, Manila | 09.16.2015
Course Development First Writeshop for Media and Information Literacy
Commission on Higher Education | CHEd, Quezon City | 08.31-09.01.2015
Workshop on Senior High School Learner’s Manual
Department of Education | Tanza Oasis Hotel, Cavite | 08.17-24.2015
Workshop on the Development of Guidelines for the Provision of Senior High School Learning Resources
Department of Education | Taal Vista Lodge, Tagaytay City | 07.13-17.2015
Instructional Media Resources Trainors' Qualification Course
(Armed Forces of the Philippines | Camp V Luna, Manila | 05.07.2015
Technolympics: Festival of Talents
Department of Education | Makati City | 04.09-10.2015
LEEP NCR Training
Knowledge Channel | Quezon City Interactive Center | 04.13-15.2015
Workshop on the Instructional Design for the K to 12 Grades 4, 5, 11, and 12 Learning Resources
Department of Education | BP International Makiling, Los Baňos City, Laguna | 09.10-12.2014
Seminar on Outcome-based Education and 21st Century Learning
University of the Philippines – Cebu | 09.04-05.2014
The First Media and Information Literacy Teacher Training Program
University of the Philippines – Diliman / 04.7-11.2014
Computer for Education: Seminar Workshop for In-service Public School Teachers
Immaculate Mother School and Happiland School, Quezon City, Philippines | 10.2.2010
Instructional Media Resources: Seminar Workshop for In-service Public School Teachers
Eulogio Rodriguez Integrated School | Mandaluyong City, Philippines | 10.3.2011
Malanday National High School | Marikina City, Philippines | 09.25.2010
Cisco Networking Academy Training for Professionals
Philippine Science High School - Quezon City | 2002 – 2004
Ateneo de Davao | 10.2002
Asia Pacific Regional Cisco Networking Academy Training
Nanyang Technological University - Singapore | 04.2002
Computer in Education Trainings
University of the Philippines - Diliman | 2003 – 2005
Manila Xiamen International School Summer Program
Manila Xiamen International School - China | 04.1999
- Pitagan, F. B. (2010). PhD Dissertation: The Implications of Collaborative Grouping, Learners’ Gender and Facilitation Leadership on Interaction and Cognitive Engagements in Asynchronous Online Discussion.
- Pitagan, F. B. (2005). Thesis: University Virtual Learning Environment (UVLe) and Intellectual Behaviors of Teachers and Students. Philippine e-lib, Thesis 371.334 P68u 2005, 120 pages. Manila, Philippines. http://www.elib.gov.ph/results.php?f=author&q=Pitagan%2C+Ferdinand+B.
AWARDS AND SCHOLARSHIPS
- Excellence in Teaching Award / University of the Philippines – College of Education / 2013
- Best Committee Award / University of the Philippines – College of Education / 2011.03
- Monbukagusho (Japanese Government Scholarship)/ 2009.09 – 2005.04
- Best Filipino Teacher Award / Support Your Dream Movement (SYD) / Japan / 2005.12
- DOST Scholarship/ Philippine Department of Science and Technology / 2004 – 2003; 1999 – 1998
- University Scholars Award - Gawad Chancellor/ University of the Philippines - Diliman / 2004 (1st Semester); 2003 (1st and 2nd Semester)
- Best Coach, Computer Programming / Philippine National Competitions / 1999 – 2003
- Model Student Award / Rotary International / 1988
- Roxas Leadership Award / Gerry Roxas Foundation / Philippines / 1988
- Philippine Association of the Japanese Government Scholars
- Association of Filipino Students in Japan
- Science and Technology Advisory Council - Japan Chapter
- University of the Philippines
- University of the Philippines - Diliman
- UP College of Education
- UP College of Education Homepage
- UP Information Technology Training Center (UP-ITTC)
- International Christian University
- ICU Institute for Educational Research and Service (IERS).
- Monbukagusho (Japanese Government Scholarship)
- Tokyo Gakugei University
- Philippine Science High School
- Asian Graduate School Forum