Maricor N. Soriano
- Associate Professor
- Deputy Director for Academic Affairs
- App Physics 195 (Control Systems)
- App Physics 187 (Photonics)
- App Physics 186 (Instrumentation Physics II)
- Physics 101 (Fundamental Physics I)
- Physics 73.1 (Elementary Physics III Lab)
ISI Publications and Book Chapters
- J. Balista, M. Soriano, C. Saloma, Compact time-independent pattern representation of entire human gait cycle for tracking of gait irregularities, Pattern Recognition Letters Vol. 31, No 1, 20-27, 1 January 2010.
- J. Balista, M. Soriano, C. Saloma, Compact time-independent pattern representation of entire human gait cycle for tracking of gait irregularities , Pattern Recognition Letters (in press) DOI: doi:10.1016/j.patrec.2009.09.001, available online 8 September 2009.
- S. Marcos, L. David, E. Peñaflor, V. Ticzon, M. Soriano, Automatic benthic counting of living and nonliving components in Ngedarrak Reef, Palau via subsurface underwater video, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment Vol 145 No.1-3, 177-184 Oct 2008.
- W Oblefias, M Soriano and C Saloma, Accuracy of spectrum estimate in fluorescence spectral microscopy with spectral filters, Optics Communications Vol. 260 No. 2, 755-766,15 April 2006.
- Martinkaupppi B, Soriano M & Pietikäinen M, Comparison of skin color detection and trackingmethods under varying illumination. Journal of Electronic Imaging Vol. 14 No. 4, 043014, Oct-Dec2005. ( http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/1.2142307 )
- Marcos S., Soriano M., Saloma C., Classification of coral reef images from underwater video using
neural networks, Optics Express, Vol. 13 No. 22, 8766-71, 31 October 2005.
- Saloma C., Tarun A., Bailon M., Soriano M., 2005, Rapid subsurface detection of nanoscale defects
in live microprocessors by functional infrared emission spectral microscopy, Applied Optics, Vol. 44 1 of 6No. 34, 1-5, 1 December 2005.
- Soriano, Oblefias, Saloma, Spectral microscopy of live luminescent samples, Chapter 23
Nanophotonics : Integrating Photochemistry, Optics and Nano/Bio Materials Studies, Elsevier, 2004.
- Soriano, Araullo, Saloma, Curve Spreads – A biometric from front-view gait video, Pattern
Recognition Letters, Vol. 25, pp 1595-1602, June 2004
- Soriano, Martinkauppi, Huovinen, Laaksonen, Adaptive skin color modeling modeling using the skin
locus for selecting training pixels, Pattern Recognition, Vol. 36, No. 3, March 2003.
- Soriano, Oblefias, Saloma, Fluorescence spectrum estimation using multiple color images and
minimum negativity constraint, Optics Express Vol. 10 No. 25. December 2002.
- Soriano, Garcia, Saloma, Fluorescent image classification by major color histograms and a neural
network, Optics Express Vol. 8 No. 5 , February 2001.
- E. Marszalec, B. Martinkauppi, M. Soriano, M. Pietikäinen, A physics-based face database for color
research, J. Electronic Imaging, Vol. 9 No. 1 pp 32-38, 2000. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/1.482722 )
- M. Soriano, T. Ojala & M. Pietikäinen "Robustness of Local Binary Pattern (LBP) operators to
tiltcompensated textures". Texture Analysis in Machine Vision (Ed. M. Pietikäinen). Series in Machine Perception and Artificial Intelligence - Vol. 40, World Scientific, 2000.
- M. Soriano, C. Saloma, Improved Classification Robustness for Noisy Cell Images Represented as
Principal Components Projections in a Hybrid Recognition System, Applied Optics Vol. 37 No.17 pp 3628-3638, 1998.
- M. Soriano, C. Saloma, Cell Classification by a Learning Principal Components Analyzer and
Backpropagation Neural Network, Bioimaging vol.3, pp. 168-175, 1995.
International Conference Papers
- L. Cruz, J. Salvador, A. Paz, J. Dado, M. Soriano,'Establishing deterrents to help reduce forgery
practices and secure the authenticity of Philippine Paintings', 15 the Triennial Conference of the Intl Council of Museums-Committee for Conservation (ICOM-CC) New Delhi India September 22-26 (2008).
- A.M.C. Lee, C.T. Angeles, M.C. R. Talampas, L.G. Sison, M.N. Soriano, MotesArt: Wireless Sensor
Network for Monitoring Relative Humidity and Temperature in an Art Gallery , IEEE International Conference on Networking, Sensing and Control, 2008. ICNSC 2008. pp 1263-1268, Sanya, China April 6-8 (2008).
- M. Soriano, 'Good Practices in Science Higher Education – A Tale of Two Institutes in the University
of the Philippines', Intl Forum on Reform and Innovation in Science and Engineering Education in the Asia-Pacific Region, Seoul, South Korea, September 12-14 (2005).
- M. Soriano, M. Arciaga, M. Cadatal, V. Cemine, J. Dungao, M. Estonactoc, J. Gabayno, M. Hui, R.
Nakan, W. Oblefias, R. Pabilonia, L. Vasquez, PC-Interfaced physics experiments under $10, Intl. Conf. On Computer Information Technology in Physics Education, NISMED QC, December (2001)
- M. Soriano, S. Marcos, M. Quibilan, P. Alino, C. Saloma, Image classification of coral reef
components from underwater color video ,OCEANS 2001 Honolulu, Hawaii 5-8 November (2001).
- M. Soriano, L. Garcia, C. Saloma, 'Classification of fluorescent microsphere images using color',
Vision Interface Ottawa, Canada 7-9 June (2001)
- B. Martinkauppi, M. Soriano, "Basis functions of the color signals of skin under different illuminants.",MCS01, June 18 (2001).
- T. Mäenpää, T. Ojala, M. Pietikäinen & M. Soriano "Robust texture classification by subsets of Local
Binary Patterns". Proc. 15th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, September 3-8, Barcelona, Spain (2000).
- M. Soriano, S. Huovinen, B. Martinkauppi & M. Laaksonen "Skin detection in video under changing
illumination conditions". Proc. 15th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, September 3-8, 2 of 6Barcelona, Spain (2000).
- M. Soriano, B. Martinkauppi, S. Huovinen, M. Laaksonen, "Skin color modelling under varying
illumination conditions using the skin locus for selecting training pixels",Real-time Image Sequence Analysis Workshop (RISA2000), August 31-September 1, Oulu, Finland (2000).
- M. Soriano, S. Huovinen, B. Martinkauppi & M. Laaksonen (2000) Using the skin locus to cope with
changing illumination conditions in color-based face tracking. Proc. IEEE Nordic Signal Processing Symposium (NORSIG 2000), June 13-15, Kolmården, Sweden, (2000).
- M. Soriano , E. Marszalec , B. Martinkauppi, M. Pietikäinen 'Making saturated facial images useful
again,' Proc. SPIE Polarization and Color Techniques in Inspection June 17-18 Munich Germany, 113-121 (1999).
- M. Soriano , E. Marszalec, M. Pietikäinen 'Color correction of face images under different illuminants using RGB eigenfaces' Proc. 2nd Intl. Conf. on Audio and Video-Based Biometric Person
authentication (AVBPA99) March 22-24 Washington DC USA (1999).
Awards and Recognitions
● Third World Academy of Science Prize for Young Scientist in the Philippines (2009)
● Outstanding Young Scientist, National Academy of Science and Technology (2006)
● Most Outstanding Ph.D. Graduate of the College of Science, U.P. Diliman (April 1998)
● Third Prize - Philippine Talent Search for Young Scientists National Academy of Science and Technology, Westin Philippine Plaza Hotel (9 July 1997)
● Dean's Medallion - Best Undergraduate Thesis in Physics U.P. Diliman (April 1992)
Instrumentation Physics Laboratory (http://www.nip.upd.edu.ph/ipl/)