Raul P. De Guzman
Dr. Raul P. De Guzman was a professor emeritus of public administration at the University of the Philippines. He served as vice president for planning and finance of the University and as chancellor of U.P. Los Banos. The late Professor De Guzman was also dean of the former U.P. College of Public Administration (UP-CPA) and member of the U.P. Board of Regents, the highest policy-making body of the University.
Professor De Guzman was president of the National Research Council of the Philippines (NRCP) and was founding secretary-general of the Eastern Regional Organization for Public Administration (EROPA). He also served as director of the Local Government Center, the predecessor of the Center for Local & Regional Governance (CLRG), of U.P.
The R.P. De Guzman Street where the UP National College of Public Administration & Governance (UP-NCPAG), Institute of Small-Scale Industries (ISSI), and the School of Labor & Industrial Relations (SOLAIR) are located is named after him.
He earned his Ph.D. in Government from Florida State University (FSU) and is the eponym of the De Guzman Award for outstanding Ph.D. dissertation in FSU's Askew School.
Dr. De Guzman is the father of public administration in the Philippines.
- Ph.D. in Government, Florida State University
- M.A. in Public Administration, Florida State University
- B.S. Foreign Service (magna cum laude), University of the Philippines
- Former Presidential Adviser for Development Administration, Republic of the Philippines
- Former Vice President for Planning & Finance, University of the Philippines
- Former Dean, UP National College of Public Administration & Governance
- Former President, Philippine Society for Public Administration (PSPA)
- Former President, Association of Schools of Public Administration in the Philippines (ASPAP)
- Former President, Philippine Fulbright Scholars Association
- Guzman, Raul P., ed. Patterns in Decision-Making. Manila : Graduate School of Public Administration, U.P., 1963, also published by the East-West Center.
- Abueva, Jose V. and Raul P. de Guzman, eds. Handbook of Philippine Public Administration, Manila : Social Research Associates, 1967.
- Abueva, Jose V. and Raul P. de Guzman, eds. Foundations and Dynamics of Filipino Government and Politics. Manila: Bookmark, 1969.
- Guzman, Raul P. de and Proserpina Tapales, eds. Philippine Local Government: Issues, Problems and Prospects. Manila: College of Public Administration, U.P., 1973.
- Guzman, Raul P de and Ma. Aurora Carbonell. Development-Orientedness of Filipino Administrators. Quezon City: NSDB-UP Integrated Research Program, 1976.
- Guzman, Raul P. de Survey of Training Needs in the Thai Bureaucracy. Bangkok: Civil Service Commission, 1979.
- Guzman, Raul P., Mila Reforma A., eds. Government and Politics of the Philippines, Singapore: Oxford University Press, 1988.
- Guzman, Raul P. de, Mila A. Reforma, and Danilo Reyes, eds. Public Administration in a Changing National and International Environment, Eastern Regional Organization of Public Administration, 1989.
- Zhijian, Zhang, Raul P. de Guzman, and Mila A. Reforma, eds. Administrative Reform Towards Promoting Productivity in Bureaucratic Performance, Eastern Regional Organization for Public Administration, 1992.
- De Guzman, Raul P. and Mila A. Reforma, eds. Decentralization Towards Democratization and Development, Eastern Regional Organization for Public Administration, Manila, 1993.
- Mohammad Ja’far Ekram Ja’fari, Raul P. de Guzman and Mila A. Reforma, eds. Public Administration and Sustainable Development, Eastern Regional Organization for Public Administration, Tehran, 1994.
Awards and Recognitions
- Ten Outstanding Young Men (TOYM) Award for public administration education in 1965, given by Philippine Jaycees
- Honorary Fellow in Local Government, University of Birmingham, England, 1978-83
- Recipient of “Grads Made Good,” award for outstanding leadership in the Third World, Florida State University, USA, 1986
- National Social Scientist Award for 1991 of the Philippine Social Science Council
- Professional Award in Public Administration, U.P. Alumni Association