Like in many advanced research institutions, huge files can be distributed via torrent downloads. Obletorr-Ikot is such a file distribution system for internal use in the UP Dilnet. Publicly available torrents are at Obletorr.
Anonymous Internal Open Trackers
Obletorr-Ikot uses these anonymous internal open trackers:
Check these addresses once in a while. We may change them, as utilization of Obletorr-Ikot increases.
How to distribute large files via Obletorr-Ikot
- Step 1: Using your favorite bittorrent client, create a .torrent file by
- selecting a file that you want to share and
- adding the ff torrent trackers:
Please write the appropriate description of the file you are sharing.
- Step 2: Open the resulting .torrent file, using your torrent client.
- Step 3: Distribute the resulting .torrent file by doing any or all of the following:
- sending the resulting .torrent file to people you want to share the source file with (say, your students)
- uploading the .torrent file to your UVLe course site and sharing them with your students
- Step 4: Keep seeding your file until there are enough seeders.
NOTE: files shared via Obletorr-Ikot are only downloadable (or uploadable) within UP Dilnet.
- If your machine is unable to seed files on a long-term basis, you may request UP DILC to seed these files for you, especially if these files are used in your courses.
- For better sharing experience, encourage the people you share your files with to maintain a ratio of at least 1 for each file they got via Obletorr-Ikot.
- To share several files and directories all at once, compress or zip the files and directories into one file or put them in one directory and make a .torrent out of it.
How to download files via Obletorr-Ikot
- Step 1: Go online via the UP Dilnet.
- Step 2: Using a torrent client, open the .torrent file you must have received from a file distributor or a fellow downloader.
- Keep seeding, once done or whenever you have the opportunity to go online via Dilnet.