Like in many advanced academic research institutions, huge files can be distributed via torrent downloads. Obletorr-Ikot is such a file distribution system for internal use in the UP Dilnet. In this respect, files distributed via Obletorr-Ikot are "private"; they're primarily for instructional and research purposes. (Publicly available torrents are at Obletorr.)
Anonymous Internal Open Trackers
Obletorr-Ikot uses these anonymous internal open trackers:
Check these addresses once in a while. We may change them, as utilization of Obletorr-Ikot increases.
How to distribute large files via Obletorr-Ikot
- Step 1: Using your favorite bittorrent client, create a .torrent file by
- selecting a file that you want to share and
- adding the ff torrent trackers:
Please write the appropriate description of the file you are sharing.
- Step 2: Open the resulting .torrent file, using your torrent client.
- Step 3: Distribute the resulting .torrent file by doing any or all of the following:
- sending the resulting .torrent file to people you want to share the source file with (say, your students)
- uploading the .torrent file to your UVLe course site and sharing them with your students
- Step 4: Keep seeding your file until there are enough seeders.
NOTE: files shared via Obletorr-Ikot are only downloadable (or uploadable) within UP Dilnet.
How to download files via Obletorr-Ikot
- Step 1: Go online via the UP Dilnet.
- Step 2: Using a torrent client, open the .torrent file you must have received from a file distributor or a fellow downloader.
- Keep seeding, once done or whenever you have the opportunity to go online via Dilnet.
- If your machine is unable to seed files on a long-term basis, you may request UP DILC to seed these files for you, especially if these files are used in your courses.
- For better sharing experience, encourage the people you share your files with to maintain a ratio of at least 1 for each file they got via Obletorr-Ikot.
- To share several files and directories all at once, compress or zip the files and directories into one file or put them in one directory and make a .torrent out of it.
- Make sure that Obletorr-Ikot trackers are exceptions in your proxy settings.
Speed of upload or download will depend on the network equipment available in the area where the activity is being done. If you're downloading or uploading wirelessly, you could be affected by signal interferences. Please report good or bad upload/download numbers (Kbps/sec in which particular area) via the Discussion tab of this page.