A Raspberry Pi-based program FM transmitter that plays online UP-FM music radio. Radio receivers can tune in to 87.5MHz if the transmitter is in range.
Individuals from the different UP campuses, UP alumni and friends in different locations, lovers of Filipino indie music are encouraged to build and use this device to broadcast UP-FM in their areas.
A. For PIFM:
- Raspberry PI (model B).
- SD Card with Raspbian "Wheezy" OS (operating system) installed.
- Power Brick (5 volts, 2 amperes)
- Solid wire,no.22 and GPIO Cable (for the antenna)
- Soldering iron, Soldering lead, Electrical tape
B. For Programming:
A. Making a Simple Antenna
Since you may not have an ideal antenna, you will use a solid wire (no.22) as substitute. Cut a solid wire about 32 centimeters and stripe one end at least 1 cm. Also cut the GPIO cable wire near the socket and leave at least 1 cm wire on it. Stripe the wire near the GPIO socket. Combine both ends of the solid wire and GPIO socket using lead and soldering iron. Wrap the soldered wire and GPIO with the tape (see pictures below).
B. Installing and Running Raspbian "wheezy
You will now prepare the PIfm in Raspberry PI. To do so, you must have an SD card, with Raspbian "wheezy" OS installed. One way to do it is to download and install the Win 32 disk imager to your windows PC. Also download zip file of Raspbian "wheezy" and extract the file. Plug in your SD card. Write the disk image file on the SD card.Then you have now the installed Raspbian "wheezy" OS in your SD card.
Enabling network connection
C. Programming the PIFM
Once you have installed the Raspbian "wheezy" and ran it to your Raspberry PI, you can now program the UP-FM transmitter from LXterminal.
- open your lxterminal.
- create a dedicated directory within the home directory and download the pifm files from icrobotics site as follows:
tar -xvf Pifm.tar.gz
- download the application called sox (Sound Exchange) package. This is required to stream the internet radio and pipe it to PIFM program for transmission.
sudo apt-get install sox libsox-fmt-all
- create a script to make it easier to execute.
sudo nano pifmradio.sh
Type following command line inside the script and press ctrl+x, Y and then Enter to save.
sox -v .9 -t mp3 "http://updox.upd.edu.ph/stream/2/;stream.nsv" -t wav --input-buffer 80000 -r 22050 -c 1 - | sudo /home/pi/pifm/pifm - 87.5
- Change the mode of the script to be executable.
sudo chmod +x pifmradio.sh
Autostarting UP-FM at boot
- Jhon Mark Sorio
- Nestor Tiglao (consultant)
- Peter Sy (consultant)
- Raspberry Pi Type B 512MB: Php 1,500
- SD Card
- wire antenna